Entries

Get Into It: Katy B




Tuesday, January 29, 2013


If you've worked [fashion] retail in the past 2 years (and you live in the US), you've probably heard and fell in love with Katy B without even knowing it. At least, that's what happened to me. Once again, I must thank the heavens for Spotify. Without it, I would have never pursued finding these songs that I heard every time I was at work.

For those completely unfamiliar with Katy B, she's a dance pop singer from the UK that uses beautiful R&B style vocals over electronic beats. Her first single, "Katy on a Mission," landed in the UK in late 2010 and received high praise for it's beautiful productions and masterfully layered vocal harmonies. It went on to become a Top 5 hit on the official UK charts.




The album, On A Mission, spun off 4 addition singles, but my favorite was the sultry Magnetic Man produced "Easy To Please Me." This was the song that originally sparked my interest in Katy. Something about the underlying urban elements really took a firm grip of my hips and forced them to sway until the song was over. In addition, Katy's abrasiveness in the lyrics made the song easy to relate to. "Now I won't call you 20 times a day cause I've got my own shit to do." What king of revolutionized "Bug-A-Boo" (Destiny's Child) realness?

Still, Katy's best song is actually a feature. Again, Magnetic Man proves talented with the assistance of Katy on "Perfect Stranger." The song is filled with potential cliches, but manages to avoid each and every one of them, remaining fresh with every artificial drum strike.



Katy B's music is widely available on most social streaming services like YouTube. If you're lucky, you can find her on Spotify. If you need more convincing, I'd definitely recommend "Witches Brew" or Coca-Cola's official 2012 Summer Olympic song "Anywhere In The World."

I expect Katy B to find her path to America over the next few years and at least have a similar impact as Robyn. If promoted correctly, which is rare in a UK to US crossover, she can set herself to be a massive force on the dance scene here. 

I've personally have only been bopping with Katy for a month or less, but I have high hopes from her. She has an interesting style about her that's very attractive and vocally she has absolutely nothing to worry about. Her voice is soft enough to fill any mainstream radio geared tune, but strong enough to stand out against clattering dance beats. A crossover should fall at her feet.


6 comments:

  1. She's absolutely brilliant live too. Her Danger EP is amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. The point is to introduce people to artist they're not familiar with. Not to introduce artist to the public.

      Delete
  3. ive seen her live. shes great. favourite songs are power on me, broken record, lights on and hard to get. as for magnetic man, i need air is one hell of a tune. oh and thank you for helping me find out who sang that olympics song!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love her music!!! Glad you found her and love her!!!

    ReplyDelete

 

Connect

Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Check Us Out on Google+

Copyright © 2010 • MartianTV • All rights reserved