Entries

Review: Rihanna's 'Unapologetic' A Step Forward




Friday, November 16, 2012

Unapologetic. Adjective. "Unwilling to make or express an apology." 

Wait! What do you have to be sorry for, Rihanna? The title seems to be a nod at Chris Brown more than anything, especially considering the controversy surround the two. But let's not get into that. Perhaps she's "Unapologetic" about her should-have-been-cut-in-half-and-turned-into-an-EP release, Talk That Talk, which was almost impossible to get through completely. More likely, the title is a reflection of Rihanna's mood about life in general, which really would make the sense. The album is, after all, completely lacking direction, but it still works... somehow.

Unapologetic is a step forward and thankfully away from Talk That Talk, which was pretty much held up by the success of two singles ("You Da One" was rejected by radio after its radio deal ended), three if you count "Cake" which was never officially released. There are a lot more tight and polished productions, especially on the latter half of the album where she ditches the Top 40-desperate productions and lyricism for a more somber mood that shows that Rihanna may actually about more than just a #1 hit on Billboard. 

Upon first listen "What Now" immediately became a favorite track, only to be topped by "Stay" and again by "Nobody's Business." For the first time since A Girl Like Me, the best tracks on the album aren't the ones you can guess will be sent off to radio. "Stay" is the most honest track in years and showcases Rihanna belting for once, not screaming or screeching like in "Russian Roulette" or "Love The Way You Lie." The supporting piano compliments her beautifully pained vocals. "Nobody's Business" is golden, despite the annoying way they chose to pronounce "business." (Bitnis?) The track is obviously a sucker punch to the media for butting into the questionable and confusing relationship between the two... but lyrically, the song is really what love is all about and I have always agree that one of the major downfalls of pop culture is that it puts the artist's personal life before their art sometimes. Both Rihanna and Chris should be proud that they are able to have whatever kind of relationship they have, regardless of what the world thinks. "It ain't nobodies bitnazz! Just mine and my baby!" I also enjoy Chris Brown's MJ impression. 

There are some great moments on the first part of the album too. "Right Now" is starving to be released to radio, sitting on top of one of the most dangerously constructed beats in Guetta's catalog. Listen with caution because you could unintentionally dance yourself to death. You also have "Numb" which is also one of the better productions of the album, though I could have lived without the 90s inspired vocal layering in the beginning of the song. "Jump" is also incredible up until the breakdown, which builds up to a disappointing dubstep session. It could have used a siren or some other hokey bells and whistles to make it sound fuller. Then, of course, there's "Diamonds," which is the stand-out moment of the album and one of the top songs of the year overall. 

Personally, I feel like the album falters in its lack of rhythmic radio smashes a la "What's My Name" or "Rude Boy," which is honestly where Rihanna flourishes. Songs like "Pour It Up" seem contrived and Rihanna comes across as desperate to live up to her "thug life" tweets. It sounds more like a 2Chainz song than anything. "FPhresh Out The Runway" has a lot going on. Too much to really make out Rihanna's vocals, which have been autotuned to death. The other songs are good, but forgettable. 

I'm happy with this album. Better than I expected. It doesn't deliver as many instant hits as Loud or Good Girl Gone Bad, but definitely helps me forget about the painfully pitiful album that was Talk That Talk.

 
(7 Out Of 10 Stars)


37 comments:

  1. Numb, Right Now, What Now, Jump, Stay, Nobody's Business and Love Without Tragedy are on Rihpeat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sis, that's just Brintey stan blog... That is so sad, because if this blog was done properly, without being subjective, it would be so much better

    ReplyDelete
  3. What does me liking Britney have to do with a Rihanna or Christina album? If you compare the metacritic scores for these albums, most reviews agree with mine. You're the one not being subjecting and letting your stanning cloud your judgement.

    Maybe you don't know what subjectivity is. If I wasn't being subjective, I would have compared this album to my favorite album by Britney every time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. whole album on rihpeat.

    i see myself listening to this album for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I asked for reviews from other artists. Then comes Lotus and this.
    This just feels like cherry picking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. its because rihanna makes music for black people, and this blog is owned by a black male.

    And excuse me, but the reviews for this album are giving 3 stars of 5, your are giving to much to this lack of album, boring, repetitive and 0 innovation. Rihanna once said that she is always doing something fresh and new, I don't see that in this album, the track with Chris its like a 80's song, sorry, but when you give so much power to people, they can give you shit and people will think that its the best shit of the world.

    XoXo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the most ignorant comment I've seen on the blog to date...

      Delete
    2. "the track with Chris its like a 80's song"
      the sound is based on a sample of "the way you make me feel" by michael jackson

      Delete
  7. I'm a fan big of Rihanna and this new record blows chunks. Time to take a few years off sister and make people miss you and actually put some real effort into some good songs and not all filler.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 5/10. it's awful imo

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a reason the bitch has never had a number one album. Her music is mostly fodder. She's a singles artist with not much substance going on. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with all the readers. Martian, I am usually 9/10 times on the same page with you. however, this is rihanna's worst album in years.

    Talk That Talk > Loud > Good Girl Gone Bad > Unapologetic > Rated R > A Girl Like Me > Music of the Sun

    Talk That Talk is Rihanna's Blackout. It's a masterpiece and an absolutely perfect album. Unapologetic treads back into Rihanna's earlier music... a LOT of filler and not a single song is 5 out of 5 stars. BOO. disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying for you right now

      Delete
    2. What the fuck is wrong with you? Talk That Talk is NOT anywhere near to be the best Rihanna album, Rated R is Rihanna's Blackout, and is IMO, by her best one.

      Delete
    3. you are just wrong.

      Delete
    4. Someone with actual taste.November 17, 2012 at 12:32 PM

      alansam84 is correct. Rated R is Rihanna's best work EVER. No doubt about it. The last 3 albums are mediocre rush jobs with SOME catchy singles.

      Delete
  11. Your the best martian, like 98% of the times i agree with opinions or reviews, i love POP!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alright...

    I don't write the review on the blog to please people. I write them to share my thoughts and opinions on a piece of work. I know way do I think my opinion is greater than any other blogger's or any of the readers of this blog, but it is my blog, so you'll only get my opinion. It's also why my other writers don't do reviews.

    That said, I don't mind when people dislike a review. People have different opinions. That's life... but when you start trying to justify my actions with you opinion, I start to get offended. Don't just assume I'm not being subjective because you don't agree. That's ignorant. Certainly don't assume I like certain music based on the color of my skin. That's extremely ignorant. Just agree or disagree and tell me why, then be on your way. Don't try and tell me how mind works.

    -Martian

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Talk That Talk is Rihanna's Blackout."

    Whoa, whoa... oh, no sweetie.

    And I do agree that Unapologetic is much better than Talk that Talk...and Loud is overrated so I'm leaning toward saying I'm enjoying Unapologetic more than that too.

    And Lotus got stale before it even released. Many of the tracks are totally out of touch with the sounds that radio and consumers are looking for, and I thought the 6 Martian gave it was generous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True tea.

      Nothing can come close to Blackout or as good.

      And you where WAY TO GENEROUS WITH THE 6 4 FLOPLOTUS

      Delete
  14. I have to agree with most of the comments here. Those stars were given way to generous. Talk That Talk was a MUCH better album then this album. We Found Love, You Da One, Where Have You Been, Cockiness, Cake, Watch and Learn, Red Lipstick were all great songs. And let us not forget the amazing vocals on Fool in Love. The mid tempos were good too like We All Want Love, Drunk on Love and Farewell. I still enjoy listening to that album. This one though is so quickly put together and so ghetto. I only like 4 songs from it. The other ones I just skip. I have never been like that with her other albums. Her only heartfelt song on this new album is What Now, that one gives me goosebumps because its relatable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what about "half of me, stay, love without tragedy/mother mary, get it over with" and "lost in paradise"?
      i feel like anyone who claims to be a fan of hers and isn't enjoying the album yet just needs more time to digest it.

      it's a more mature album that talk that talk (which i love for "watch n' learn" alone) in terms of production, lyricism and content; they're both good albums, just different.

      Delete
  15. Half of me is everything. Why isn't it in the review???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "half of me" is on the deluxe edition of the album, which hasn't leaked yet.

      Delete
  16. Baring Diamonds, the first half of the album is really horrid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. guessing you're one of those twinkie cunts that only likes dance pop songs and can't del with the ratchet club anthems.

      Delete
  17. I really liked Talk That Talk. I think she didn't select the right single choices. This album is not bad. Not many songs jumped out at me like TTT or even Loud did for me. But it does have potential. All her albums are so different and always bring a new side to Rihanna. I appreciate the album, it's just taking a little longer for me to fully appreciate its potential.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i've listened to "pour it up" an obscene amount of times at this point.
    i know this shit is gonna be on steady rotation in the club when the album drops.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't like the album for me floptus is better than this mess, but Paradise shits on both

    ReplyDelete
  20. 9/10
    Honestly this is my favorite album next to Rated R. It picks up where it left off. This album show the emotion that Rated R did, without all of the dark undertone to it. It still has the gritty urban sound to it, but it's more polished and resonant, and not as anger based as Rated R. I think if you take the strong tracks off of Rated R and put it on here it would make the perfect sonic and cohesive balance, but I think that's what Unapologetic is about, that lack of sense of a certain direction and doing what you want and not giving a phuck.

    ReplyDelete

 

Connect

Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Check Us Out on Google+

Copyright © 2010 • MartianTV • All rights reserved